Monday, September 25, 2006

Hour of the Wolf

Lately I've had a problem with waking up at ridiculously early hours with my brain going clackety clackety about all the things I haven't been getting done or doing well enough or dealing with or whatever, and it's always pointless, because in doing this I exhaust myself so that later in the day I don't remember all the things I was beating myself up at 4:30 a.m. about not remembering to do during the day and ... you see my problem. I've tried having a pen and a scrap of paper on the nightstand, but I've never been good at keeping track of notes to self.

So, these days, I'm working on this linebacker top-down raglan, right? And, if I may say, I'm rather pleased with the stand-up, 2-by-2 rib, inch-and-a-half-high, kind of loosey-goosey neckline I've done (tubular cast-on!), and I'm also pleased with the decorative, paired yarnovers marching down the raglan, and this yarn is yummy. So, this morning, at the usual ridiculous hour, I thought, oh no, I've done -- what -- 10 or so increase rounds? And each of those increases things by 8 stitches? With a 3 st/inch gauge and starting with 76 stitches, that means I've now got 156 stitches, which means 52 inches, and each increase round adds 2 2/3 inches, and I've got several more increases to go before I hit my raglan length of 11 inches ... I planned a linebacker sweater, not a tent, oh nooooooooooooo!

I was on the verge of frogging the whole thing yet again (don't ask), except I had 4 kids to get out the door to school and yadda yadda. Finally, a couple hours later in the shower, I made the connection that the whole terrifying number of stitches includes sleeve stitches, which will not be part of the body stitches, and all made sense. After work today, I frogged only the 10 rounds back to before the stray extra yarnover that I decided I wasn't willing to live with. (I love freaking my husband out by ripping back what he knows to be at least a couple hard-won hours of work.) Ready to rock and roll again, if I can just figure out where that 144th stitch went.

Mary, thanks for the tech help. On a less frantic evening, I may go back and fix that. (Heh. Who am I kidding? But at least I've got it for future reference.) And that scarf looks wonderful. Don't throw your back out or anything.

Mags, the pooch is Bogart, 3/4 chi, 1/4 poo. The wee man dog always seems to be around at those opportune photographic moments.

My Vintage Velvet scart is lovely, as expected. I've got some questions about it still -- may run it by my LYS (that would be Lettuce Knit, at Stony Point, nearest my neck of the woods in Bon Air). Pix later, when my dorter isn't hogging the laptop, wherein the pix reside.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mary said...

Hey Tina, glad you figured out the sweater issue. And you're welcome re: the tech help. Didn't realize you lived in Bon Air. I'm not too far from you (Westover Hills area) and my brother & family live in Bon Air and my parents are also nearby in the Stony Point/Hobby Hills area. Small world, ain't it? Get some sleep, gal!

12:21 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

What's up with the early mornings? You need to get some Calms Forte from the health food store. That will fix you right up (can you tell I've had similar issues?)

My hubby gets wicked freaked out when I rip out as well. I don't think he could ever bring himself to do it ...

7:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home